Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Killing Time



 William Faulkner once wrote, “Clocks slay time… time is dead as long as it is being clicks off by little wheels only when the clock stops does time come to life.” I believe that Faulkner is arguing that time is not simply something in which you get things done but something much more valuable.

 Many underestimate the value of time. Since infancy our entire days have practically been mapped out for us, from the time we wake up, to the time we eat, to the time we go to sleep, only to wake up the next morning and do it all over again. Most of our time is spent watching the clocks itself; no longer are we the master of time, but, rather, it is the other way around. We are woken up from sweet dreams by a harsh alarm to a bitter world in which we’ve lost our control to the clock. We clock in to work and school as time slowly fades away waiting for us to make a move, to live, but we maintain a routine. We go days without having time to be ourselves and we ultimately lose ourselves to the stresses of the world.

Faulkner argues that the clocks does nothing but limit our lives and diminish our potential to do something out of the ordinary and great. We constantly worry about how much time we have left that time goes by much faster than it actually is, therefore killing all chances of experiencing life in a different way. It’s only when we don’t know what time it is, that people begin to open their minds to the world and the human mind can thrive without the worries and stresses of work, school and the future.

People are capable of so much more than they are aware of, but because we are in a constant struggle to get work done that we never really have the time do develop ideas of our own. I believe that Faulkner is stating that we are only alive when we aren’t under the pressure of everyday stress and we have the opportunities to connect with other people and build the human connection.  It’s almost as if we are empty shells, machines almost when we are under the control of the clock.

We have to take the time to just stop and take in our surroundings and see what time really is. Time is not just a measurement but it is life itself. It can be measures in laughs and cries, in celebrations and achievements. Time is composed of moments, from the moment you came into the world until the moment you leave. It is the lessons we learn and the mistakes we make. Time is not merely a restraint or limit because it is one of the few things in life that is whatever you want it to be and therefore we should see it that way and treasure it.

7 comments:

  1. Jessica, your interpretation of Faulkner’s quote was brilliant; it could not have been written any better. I agree with your idea that time is not just hours in a day but much more precious; events that are valuable in our life. Your essay demonstrates your attention to detail and explanations and consistent thoughts. I also can relate to the constant time spent on just watching the clock alone. Your essay has captured my attention and broadened my mind to think of time as significant. I know understand that I can make my own time and not let the clock tick my time away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This an excellent point to argue for. We anticipated the days where there are no deadlines and I have no appointments and its very sad that many people don’t have many of those days. I know personally the days I am least stressed are those that are unscheduled and I rarely look at the clock. We put time limitations on almost everything; even our life expectancy, and we begin anticipating death instead of living life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica! I agree with you're quote when we lose track of time we have more fun and we truly take advantage of the time we have. Without deadlines and cut offs we feel less stressed out to get things done. Without deadlines and cut offs our work is of a better quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my I can relate to this quote so much! I seem to always loose track of time because I'm such a busy person. My life is full of Ap classes, sports, volunteer work, a job and somewher in that I try to fit a social life. Months for me seem like only two weeks! Time is essential and I hate looking at the time becuase I'm always late for something :) I love your interpretation on Faulkner's quote and did an excellent job on responding to it!! Love your blog and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So TRUE! I personally know from experienced that time especially when limited due to deadlines and specific time frames has created more stress and anxiety. Your insight has opened my eyes to see time more as a valuable tool and not just a time restraint .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faulkner is a very amazing person to interpret on one of his quotes and you did a good job on it. It is very true and i think a lot of us lose track of time because we can all be very busy at times. We always have a time limit to everything which makes us stress out but what can we do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time runs our lives, regardless of what we do, time is involved. If we could turn time off for a day, the world would feel far more different. I loved your post, and agree entirely. the quote you used was perfect and your explainations really helped convey the meaning.

    ReplyDelete